Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe #1) Review


             Description
Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle—a shifting maze of magical rooms—enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.



 


So I definitely did not procrastinate writing  this for five days hahhaha

Top 30 Nervous Laugh GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

(I'm sorry book-) We don't talk about that, no one talks about that. Everyone shush. I'm only here to talk about one of the BEST beauty and the beast retellings I've ever read! No, really! I' 'm serious it was so good!

With a mix of greek mythology, ancient evils, and maliciously amazing characters I was hooked onto this book on the first few chapters! Our main character is flawed, strong, cunning, defiant and not always in control and it's all these things that made me love her so much. I don't know about the rest of you but having a sibling who is the favorite and you're just the background piece is so frustrating at times and Rosamund Hodge portrayed that with perfection! Nyx held back on her words, because while she was bitter and a bit selfish, she didn't want to hurt the people she cared about (I was screaming me the entire time). Not to mention she did not throw away her plans and goals just because of a dude who bat his eyes at her.

Amazing GIF - AGT AmericasGotTalent HeidiKlum - Discover & Share GIFs

Ignifex, who is our local antihero/villain love interest, he has a way of twisting words to make you think one way without actually lying (Definitely did not get fae vibes from that) I didn't even remotely try not to fall for him, not even a bit, I just knew that I'd be adding him to my list of book husbands boyfriends. I ship him with Nyx sooooooo much, just perfection.

Amazing GIFs | Tenor

I loved how even though this book's center was romance, it still managed to have a plot and other relations like family, we weren't drowned in all the love and butterflies. Not to mention, while this is a retelling this book stands so fantastically on its own, the originality is just magnificent and the touch of greek myths and legends? *Chef's kiss*

Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas - Find & Share on GIPHY

I cannot spell most of the names but somehow I know who everyone is and how to differentiate between them. The worldbuilding is also superb, with Nyx being the savior and only hope of her people, their kingdom has been cut off from the rest of the world for ages and ages and my god, you can feel the desperation. 

gene wilder, willy wonka, suspense, willy wonka and the chocolate ...

THE PLOT TWIST! THE ENDING! The last 50-ish pages were such a rollercoaster of emotions, I still don't think I have recovered, definitely did not expect that twist or the steps the main character took, I was blown away. 100% recommend for fans of 'The Cruel Prince' or 'The Shadows Between Us' and maybe even 'Six of Crows' fans, its just a priceless beauty.
➡5 stars


I was raised to marry a monster.

If one of us had to die, it ought to be the one with poison in her heart.

“He’s right about one thing,” he said. “This house has many dangers. I cannot save you from most of them.”

I clenched my hand until I felt the bones of his fingers.

Then I let go and forced a smile. “I wasn’t born to be saved.”

Comments

Popular Posts